- Provide the patient with a sterile specimen container and instruct not to touch inside.
- Instruct the patient to take three to four slow deep breaths and cough forcefully upon exhalation.
- Expectorate directly into the specimen container.
- The specimen should be examined to make sure it contains at least 1ml of thick mucous. Saliva is not an adequate specimen. An early morning specimen is preferred.
- Close the lid of the container.
- Send specimen to laboratory at ambient temperature. Refrigerate if a delay of >1 hour is anticipated; freeze for molecular tests.
If you have questions about proper specimen collection, please call
NPHL Client Services at 402-559-2440 or toll free at 1-866-290-1406.