Midstream or Clean-Catch Urine:
- Assist or allow patient to independently cleanse perineum and collect specimen.
- Clean the urethral opening (and vaginal vestibule in females) with soap and water or wipes included in collection kit. In males, retract the foreskin before micturation.
- Open specimen container and do not touch inside of container.
- After the patient has initiated urine stream, pass urine specimen container into stream and collect midstream portion of urine.
- Replace cap securely on specimen container.
- Transport to laboratory immediately or refrigerate and transport at 2 - 8°C.
First – Void Urine:
- The patient should have not urinated for at least 1 hour prior to specimen collection.
- Collect specimen in a sterile, plastic, preservative- free specimen collection cup.
- The patient should collect 15 – 20mL of voided urine, maximum of 60 ML
(the first part of the stream- NOT midstream).
- Label with patient identification, collection time and date.
- Store and transport urine specimen refrigerated.
If you have questions about proper specimen collection, please call
NPHL Client Services at 402-559-2440 or toll free at 1-866-290-1406.