- Gently insert single swab through each nare until it reaches that portion of mucosa that is inflamed or containing exudate. In small children, use a nasopharyngeal swab to facilitate collection.
- Rotate swab quickly in nare and withdraw.
- Swab the opposite nare in same manner. One swab is used for both nares.
- Immediately place swab in culture tube being careful not to touch the swab to the outside of the tube and transport at 2-8 °C.
- Specify if for MRSA or any suspected pathogens on the requisition
If you have questions about proper specimen collection, please call
NPHL Client Services at 402-559-2440 or toll free at 1-866-290-1406.